Sunday, October 9, 2011

I AM


John 14:6

“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life;
no one comes to the Father,
but through Me.”

This verse contains the sixth of seven “I am” statements in the book of John. These statements provide a good description of our Lord and His purpose on earth. In summary they are:

1. John 6:48 “I am the Bread of Life”
2. John 8:12 “I am the Light of the World”
3. John 10:9 “I am the Door”
4. John 10:10 “I am the good Shepherd”
5. John 11:25 “I am the resurrection and the life”
6. John 14:6 “I am the way, and the truth, and the life”
7. John 15:1 “I am the true Vine”

When we think of bread we think of sustenance and provision. For the Christian Jesus certainly provides that. Through His Word and the ministry of the Holy Spirit we are spiritually sustained as we live and grow in the spiritual life. He also provides all of our needs as we trust Him to do so. I’m reminded of the promise in Philippians 4:19 that He provides our need “according to His riches in glory”.

Secondly He is the Light of the world. Because of sin the world is spiritually blinded. As the Light of the world, He, through the ministry of the Holy Spirit provides the spiritual light we need to trust Him as our Savior.

Next He proclaims to be the “Door” by which we enter eternal life by believing on Him and trusting Him as our Savior. He was willing to come to earth and pay the price for our sins so that we might enjoy eternal life with Him.

He also is the “good Shepherd” and explains that the good Shepherd “lays down His life for His sheep.” He was willing to die so that we might have life. I’m reminded of Psalm 23 and would encourage you to review it now.

Since He is “the resurrection and the life” it is through Him we have eternal life. He not only died, He rose again just as we will when He returns and calls us to be with Himself forever.

He is the one and only way for us to have an eternal relationship with the Father. He is the embodiment of truth and we can have complete confidence in every bit of truth He provides us. Since He has risen, He is also the life.

No comments: