Sunday, February 12, 2012

Comfort



The word mentioned most frequently in this section of Scripture is “comfort”. How many times do you find it in these verses? We first see that our Heavenly Father is the “God of all comfort”. God loves us dearly and desires that we have eternal peace in our lives. He knows we will go through difficulties and He wants us to trust Him to see us through those times and to rely on Him for comfort.

Notice that He comforts us in all our afflictions. One reason He does that is so that we may comfort others. I can recall several times in my life when other Christians have come along side me in difficult times and been a source of comfort. I recall as a 14 year-old my Dad having to have major surgery in another city and living with aunts and uncles while Mom was with him. I am thankful for Christian relatives and friends who help me through those days. My Dad died when I was 22 and had recently moved away from home. My wife and Christian friends were of great comfort to me then as well as years later when my Mom suffered for years with dementia. I also had great comfort in knowing that they had placed their faith in Christ and that we would be reunited for eternity. I I recall the joy my grandchildren brought into my life as I walked through those difficult days of my Mom’s death.

Verse five says that our comfort is “abundant in Christ”. I have found that especially true when I’ve gone through difficult times in my life. I’ve been drawn to the Scripture to be reminded of how God loves me, of all He’s done for me and all the promises He has shared with us. How do we realize Christ’s comfort? I think it is based on our knowledge of Him. Through study and memorization of Scripture the Holy Spirit works in our life to bring to our remembrance passages that comfort us. Through prayer we realize that He hears us and responds to us in a way that is best for us. Through communication with other Christians and their prayers we receive comfort and encouragement.

As you face struggles and difficulties in your life, I pray that you may realize God’s comfort.

No comments: