Sunday, November 18, 2007

Paths Of Righteousness

The first thing I notice about this phrase is that the word "paths" is plural. While there is one way to salvation, there are many paths of righteousness. In fact, as we live our lives we traverse down many paths or tracks. For instance Psalm 1:1 exhorts us not even to stand in the "path of sinners". The Psalmist acknowledges in 17:4 that "by the word of Thy lips I have kept from the paths of the violent."

On a positive note the Psalmist says in 119:35 "make me walk in the path of Thy commandments, for I delight in it" and in 105 he recognizes that "Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path." Proverbs continues this thought (10:17) "He is on the path of life who heeds instruction. But he who forsakes reproof goes astray." The Bible continually confirms that the way of righteousness can be found by studying Gods word and heeding its teaching. One of the ministries of the Holy Spirit is to teach us and He does that through the Word of God.

In Psalm 139:3 David acknowledges that "Thou dost scrutinize my path and my lying down, and art intimately acquainted with all my ways". There is no question that God knows us intimately and therefore knows what is best for us. If we follow his guidance in our lives, we will be successful in the Christian life. Many are afraid to do that because they are fearful of what Gods will may be for them. That really says that they are not convinced Gods will is best for them.

I have learned from experience that because God loves me He will lead me in the path of life that is best for me. He will never do less than that and although there may be some hardships along that path they are for my benefit. Those hardships draw me closer to Him and teach me to completely depend on Him. Sometimes they come because I am disobedient. In that case, they draw me back to Him.

I pray that you will allow God to lead you in paths of righteousness. He wants to do that but will not force His will on you. You can be assured He knows what is best for you and will accomplish that if you let Him.

No comments: