Sunday, January 24, 2010

Handling Adversity

Philippians 1:13-14

“…so that my imprisonment in the cause of Christ has become well known throughout the whole praetorian guard and to everyone else, and that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord because of my imprisonment, have far more courage to speak the word of God without fear.”

As I have studied the life of Paul I’ve been impressed with the way he handled adversity in his life. We have the opportunity to observe him in many difficult circumstances including prison and trial, shipwreck, being physically beaten and in physical pain. He describes the adversity in his life in II Cor. 11:23 “…in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep.” Through all of these situations he remained positive and maintained his testimony for the Lord.

Adversity comes into our lives for many reasons and it is important that we handle it well. Sometimes God may teach us through a trial or testing. At other times he may use difficulties in our lives to teach or reach others with whom we have influence. There is also the possibility that we are being disciplined for sin in our lives.

One of the most significant difficulties in my life has been handling the physical and mental deterioration of my mother. Our relationship, in essence, was reversed as she became the child and I became the parent. I became very aware that others were watching how I handled that situation. I also realized that I had to keep it in perspective. It could not become more important than my relationship with God or my relationship and responsibility to my wife. One of the significant benefits to me during those years was the enhancement of my prayer life and my dependence on the Lord to give me strength.

I don’t know what adversity may come into your life, but I know God allows it with a purpose. Run to Him, depend on Him and He will see you through it and you will grow from it.

No comments: