Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Conversation with Pharisees

John 8:12-59

I’ll admit to really struggling with what I should share with you from this passage. It involves a long conversation that Jesus had with the Pharisees, a religious group of men who knew the Old Testament law but could not seem to realize that Jesus came to fulfill that law.

Jesus said some interesting things in this passage as He continued to reveal Himself:
born, I AM”

“I am the Light of the world”
“I am not judging anyone”
“I am not of this world”
“Unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins”
“He who sent Me is true”
“I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me” “He who sent Me is with Me”
“If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine”
“You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free”
“If the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed”
“I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He who sent Me”
“He who is of God hears the words of God”
“I honor My Father”
“I do not seek My glory; there is One who seeks and judges”
“If anyone keeps My word he shall never see death”
“It is My Father who glorifies Me”


If you examine how the Pharisees responded you will see that they clearly did not understand. Jesus, however, remained extremely patient with them. I wrestle with why this conversation is recorded in God’s Word. Perhaps it is here to caution us that as we share with others we will get rejection and should not be surprised by that. When that occurs we should not get defensive and argumentative, but patiently share the truth. We should also remember that it is our responsibility to share; it is the Holy Spirit who convicts and leads hearts to trust Him.
Finally, we should also see there is a time to walk away, but not be discouraged. When we have faithfully shared the Gospel we have accomplished our mission and now can pray that the Spirit’s ministry would be effective in their lives.

No comments: