Sunday, October 21, 2007

He Leads Me...

He leads me...
Psalms 23

The next phrase that attracts our attention in this Psalm is "He leads me". To lead means to go before, to direct, or to show the way. Exodus 13:21, speaking of God physically leading His people says "And the Lord was going before them in a pillar of cloud by day to lead them on the way and a pillar of fire by night to give the light."

In Psalm 25:4 David asks for spiritual direction when he requests "lead me in Thy truth and teach me, for Thou art the God of my salvation." In Psalm 139:24 he requests "lead me in the everlasting way." David recognized he was an eternal being and there were choices to be made about eternal destiny.

In Isaiah 48:17 we read "Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go." It is Gods desire to lead us in every aspect of our life, but He doesnt force His way on us. We can choose not to follow Him, but the consequences are always bad. We see the results of that choice in Romans 2:4-5 "Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God."

Speaking to the Christian, Paul says in II Corinthians 2:14 "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ…" This verse gives me great confidence for I know that if I am living my life in His will and allowing Him to lead me I will always be triumphant. It keeps pride from setting when I am successful for I know it is Him and not me. It encourages me during the difficult days of trial and testing, because I know as He leads I will walk through it triumphant at the end.

God deeply desires to lead us in every aspect of our lives but He will not force you to be obedient. I pray that you will be sensitive and yielding to His leading as you walk through your life. That will allow Him to lead you beside the "quiet waters" we will discuss next.

No comments: