Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lovingkindness Follows Me

The psalmist not only says that God’s goodness will follow him, but also God’s lovingkindness. The Hebrew word that this is translated from is most often translated “mercy”. Mercy may be described as compassion or forbearance. It is because of God’s mercy or compassion that we experience His grace. His forbearance is exhibited in His great patience with us.

Psalm 32:10 says “He who trusts in the Lord, loving-kindenss shall surround him.” That is a good picture. It is comforting to think that we are completely surrounded by God’s mercy. That gives me a feeling of great love and protection.

In Psalm 51:1 David says “Be gracious to me, O God, according to thy lovingkindnesss; according to the greatness of Thy compassion blot out my transgressions.” Another attribute of God’s lovingkindness is graciousness. It is because of His grace that He has forgiven our sins although we were totally undeserving. We enter into a personal relationship, not through anything we have done, but because God forgives us.

In Psalm 59:10 we learn “My God in His lovingkindness will meet me; God will let me look triumphantly upon my foes.” Two thoughts come to my mind as I consider this verse. First, God comes down to us. We are not capable of going up to Him, but He condescended to come down to us. Secondly, in Him we are always triumphant. Paul says in II Corinthians 2:14 “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ…”

David proclaims in Psalm 63:3 “Because Thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips will praise Thee.” I believe David often began his prayers with thankfulness for God’s mercy and compassion and that is good for us to do also. Often we rush into our prayer life listing all the needs we would like God to meet. God patiently listens to us but I believe He would be much more pleased if we began our intercession with thankfulness and praise for who He is and what He has done for us. Would you consider making this a habit in your prayer life?

No comments: